b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:28:05 -0500

example, Gen 20:13, "when God caused me to wander". kLG`ByQFx dDz@reL `IzDi
> `AlIdDim . The first person singular pronoun is a direct object of the
> hiphil verb, so "me" is the one who is caused to wander. In the same way,
me is the one who is being caused to cry out in Zech 6:8.

Kelton: The difference is found within the verbs themselves. According to
HALOT when Z`Q is followed by an accusative it means to "to call out to
someone." p 277
This makes sense in light of the fact that normally when Z`Q is used it
takes the preposition EL before the noun or pronoun in order to indicate the
person being addressed. I don't think T`H in Genesis has such requirements.

SM: Kelton, I do not follow your logic. You say that because Z`Q can take an
indirect object preceded by EL, then the direct object of the hiphil form of
Z`Q cannot be caused to do the action, in this case, Crying out for help.
So you say T`H is not a good example because it does not take an indirect
object. Then, how about KRB, draw near? It can take an indirect object
preceeded by EL. In the hiphil, cause to draw near, the direct object of the
hiphil verb is the one that draws near. i.e. Exo 29:4 And you shall cause
Aaron and his sons to draw near to the door of the tabernacle ..
-Steve Miller,
Detroit