b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:12:07 -0500

Bill:

Again, look at the context. Not just the immediate context,
but the whole story.

Secondly, just because Uriah spelled out the totality of
what he expected should he return home, does not mean that
the words David used even implied that totality. Now we
know that David wanted that totality, but again the total
context would inhibit David from _saying_ it to avoid
suspician.

Occam's razor was designed to deal with evidence, not
human beliefs and customs. Your reaction is like the
common, majority belief, medieval claim that the world
is flat, even though writers since Ptolomy (if not
earlier) showed evidence that the world is roughly
spherical. Truth is not decided by popular vote, nor
even by scholarly consensus. I think you misused Occam's
razor. The simplest explanation of the evidence is that
words have one meaning within a language, with some
exceptions, no matter how it may be translated or what
other people believe.