b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] XSD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] XSD
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:41:55 -0500

Peter:

When did we have such a discussion as you claim below? I
don't recall it.

1) I do not claim that the rule is without exceptions.

2) (RB is listed in my notes as one of the exceptions.
This listing predates my involvement in this forum.

It is possible that they may have had the same origin, but
the data is too sparse either to prove or disprove such a
connection. What I object to is the claim that cognate
language data "prove" or "disprove" certain connections
within Biblical Hebrew, especially when the cognate
languages are much later than Biblical Hebrew, for
example, Arabic. The main use of cognate definitions is
for lexemes used so seldom, and in contexts where we can
only guess at meaning, but even there treat with
extreme caution.

And how do I reject lexicographic principles? The basic
method is to study each lexeme in its contexts to get an
idea as to its meaning. The main difference between me
and, let's say BDB, is that they looked at the formal
aspects of meaning while I look for the functional aspects.
Another difference that I see is that I compared and
contrast synonyms and antonyms, to get a tighter handle
on word meanings, whereas I don't see much evidence that
they did so.

Another difference is purely philosophical, as there is no
evidence either for or against the belief that Semitic
languages started out with all the phones now found in
southern Arabic and the various languages lost phones over
time, whereas I look at the historical record that
indicates languages both lost and gained phones over time.
Hence, some of the "evidence" from cognate languages for
different roots may instead be evidence that some
languages split phones, not that there were originally
different roots in Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.