b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Luke Buckler <biblical.languages AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Iron sharpeneth iron? (Prov. 27:17)
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:53:15 +0100

Thankyou for your replies, Karl, Bryan and Peter,

It's exciting to hear that "iron in iron is united and a man is united
to faces of his friend" could be a possible translation of Prov. 27:17
(especially because it was one of my friends who suggested it - I
didn't know he was quite so good at Hebrew!).

You gave the following readings yourselves: -
"iron with iron is welded; [likewise,] a man is inseperable from his
friend" and also " ... this makes sense if we consider the force of
magnetism, which indeed unites pieces of iron in a way comparable to
close friendship"

These are very similar to what was given in the study (or the gist is
the same, anyway): the exposition in the study from the expression
"iron in iron is united and a man is united to faces of his friend"
was actually to do with metal joints, I think, used in the constrution
of Solomon's temple (because this is one of Solomon's proverbs -
25:1): cp. 1 Chron. 29:2 and 1 Chron. 22:3 - the iron here was used to
make joinings, which would've involved iron being welded or hammered
together (kind of like rivets, maybe), and has got the idea of holding
things strongly together.

If you are interested, here is what was written in the study as an
expositional point from "iron in iron is united and a man is united to
faces of his friend" (it's the conclusion of a longer passage, and the
majority of the study so far, so might not make too much sense out of
it's context: -

Proverbs 27:17 places "and a man is united to faces of his friend"
alongside "iron in iron is united". This placement highlights a
similitude between the two expressions; the manifestation meaning of
"iron in iron" is carried into "a man is united to faces of his
friend". So Yahweh, his Christ and the men who are his antitype are
united with the bride and the women in the ecclesias; there is unity
because the similitude of the bridegroom is seen in the bride; the
unity is like the closeness of Jerusalem compacted together [Ps.
122:3].

The general idea is that God and his people, Christ and the ecclesia,
and, in symbol of this, husband and wife, become one, strongly united
as iron stuck in iron would be, manifesting God's character.

Thanks again,
Luke