b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 13:5
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:07:46 -0500

Steve:

This is the wrong form for the object of this verb to be also its subject.
With a hiphil verb, it is possible that the subject is also an object, but
the form here would then be HQNYTYNY, but here we find HQNNY.

I also have trouble squaring the claim that this is Messiah, as the immediate
context is dealing with wickedness and false prophets. The wounds mentioned
in verse six are consistant with the flagelation that was common among pagan
religions.

Karl W. Randolph.