b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 13:5
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:33:55 +0100

From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

Karl, you have an excellent point, although your apparent emendation of
)DM "man" to )DMH "soil" is unnecessary. There is an obvious word play
between )DMH, the soil to which the speaker is now a slave [ (BD -
pointed in MT as (OBED rather than (EBED but still suggesting work as a
slave], and )DM, the person who caused that "slavery" perhaps by
bringing up the young person on a farm. So the meaning is something like
"I am a worker of the land, that is what people have made me", but of
course that misses the word play.

Peter,
thanks very much for all your posts. In your translation, you have been
careful to keep the causitive sense, but I think it loses the meaning of
QNH. There is no possessing or aquiring. It is similar to the KJV.

I take your point. I wondered whether to suggest something like "I was apprenticed to the ground" which would imply someone acquiring him as an apprentice. I certainly wasn't ruling out real slavery or serfdom, although of course most agricultural slaves would have been born as such rather than actually bought. Remember that this is in the post-exilic period, when many Israelites would have been more or less agricultural slaves in their places of exile.

On the other hand, I accept the arguments that QNH does not always imply purchase. It does seem to be used sometimes of creation. Also the meaning of one binyan or stem type is not always a reliable guide to the meaning of another, although of course we have nothing else to go on in this unique occurrence.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)