b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 13:5

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 13:5
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:15:04 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: George F Somsel
TEXT:

W:)fMaR Lo) NfBiY) )fNoKiY )iY$_(oB"D )a:DfMfH )fNoKiY K.iY )fDfM HiQ:N"NiY
MiN.:(W.RfY

HALOT notes that the text is uncertain here and gives a conjectural reading
of )fDfM HiQ:NaNiY, but I don't think that solves your problem. I think
your problem is more in trying to import concepts from English into Hebrew.
Perhaps changing the English equivalent slightly will clarify the matter.
QNH does not simply mean "buy" but "acquire" and thus the hiphil would be
"cause to acquire." BDB gives "caused (one) to purchase me ."
Thanks George. QNH does mean aquire, but aquire by paying some price. If
someone gave you a gift, or you inherited it, then you did not QNH it.
The BDB translation makes "me" the object of the purchasing, but "me" should
be the one who did the purchasing.
-Steve Miller
Detroit