b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:23:39 +0100

On 23/10/2004 14:40, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

HH: I don't expect such a clash of number here as you suggest. I think it does not occur with hand, or is rare. You seem to be claiming that giving a plural idea to )$R is somehow not literal. But )$R is a relative pronoun and can represent either a singular or plural antecedent. ...

Well, I don't agree that )$R can represent an antecedent at all, singular or plural, in the sense you meant. At least, this is unproven if the example put forward, Ezekiel 23:28, is anything like the best example. And this is what the original discussion was about. You can't argue ")$R can represent either a singular or plural antecedent, therefore )$R can represent an antecedent". You need to come up with examples where )$R unambiguously represents an antecedent, i.e. where it fills a noun slot in the main clause. This is necessary to refute my theory that )$R is simply a conjunction i.e. it does not fill a noun slot in either main or subordinate clause.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)