b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Placeholders: )$R w/o antecedent
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:10:49 -0500

Dear Peter,

Take a look at:
Ezek. 23:28 ky kh )mr )dny yhwh hnny ntnK byd )$r &n)t byd )$r-nq(h np$K mhM

Well, I think I would consider this a figure of speech. This is a well-formed sentence "... into the hand which hates you, into the hand which your NEPE$ was estranged(?) from (them)." But here the hand is a metonymy or synecdoche for the person who owns the hand. But there is no placeholder here.

Note the "from them" which is the resumptive pronoun I was referring to.

HH: The verb "hate" is in the second person singular. "You" is the subject, not the object. The )$R in both clauses is probably substituting for the people. That's what I'm used to seeing. Fairly literally it is : "For thus says the Lord God, 'See, I am giving you into the hand of those you hate, into the hand of those from whom your soul is alienated.'"

Yours,
Harold Holmyard