b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew "Nominative"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew "Nominative"
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:26:45 +1000

Dear Clay,

Thanks for the conversation - this helps clarify my own thinking.

Personally, I don't like the resort to "pleonasm". I think it often avoids the issue and fails to give an account of a feature of the language. The words "I don't know" could often be substituted for the word "pleonastic".

As for your examples, note that they are verbless clauses. It has been popular in the past to regard this use of hw' as a copula. However, I think Zewi and Muraoka argue convincingly that this is not the case. (See Tamar Zewi, "Is there a Tripartite Nominal Sentence in Biblical Hebrew," JNSL 26/2 [2000], 51-63; idem, "The Nominal Sentence in Biblical Hebrew," in Semitic and Cushitic Studies [Gideon Goldenberg, ed.; Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 1994], 145-167; Takamitsu Muraoka, "The Tripartite Nominal Clause Revisited," in The Verbless Clause in Biblical Hebrew: Linguistic Approaches [Cynthia L. Miller, ed.; LSAWS 1; Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 1999], 187-213, esp. 198-201.) Consequently, these clauses are best viewed as having a detached or pendens phrase; and depending on whose theory you want to run with, the phrase is either topicalised, focused or contasted (alternatively kontrasted).

Your examples might then translate into Engish as:

"As for Esau, he is Edom" and "As for Yahweh, he is God".

What do you make of this?

Regards,

David.