b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1Chron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1Chron
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:21:10 +0200

It's actually 1 Chr. 12:2: "they were armed with bows, and could use both
the right hand and the left hand in hurling stones and shooting arrows from
a bow, of Saul's brethren from Benjamin." These seem to be specially trained
ambidextrous soldiers.
In the case of Ehud in Judges, my feeling is that the author there is using
a pun on Ehud's being from Benjamin, "the sons of the right", in order to
make his story more readable.

Yigal