b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1 Chron

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Richard Burks <rburks9400 AT comcast.net>
  • To: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>, "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune -- 1 Chron
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 03:37:59 -0500

David,

I will let George respond for himself, however I would refer you to Judges
20:15-17 which says:

"And the children of Benjamin gathered themselves together out of their
cities unto Gibeah, to go out to battle against the children of Israel. 15
And the children of Benjamin numbered on that day out of the cities twenty
and six thousand men that drew sword, besides the inhabitants of Gibeah, who
numbered seven hundred chosen men. 16 All this people, even seven hundred
chosen men, were left-handed; every one could sling stones at a
hair-breadth, and not miss." (KJV)

I am translating Judges for a paper I am writing. I am also left-handed. I
used to have a coffee cup which referred to this the above passage, along
with a list of famous left-handed people.

The term for left-handed in Hebrew indicates that their is disabled of the
right side. The LXX and Vulgate interpret this word to mean that someone
was ambidextrous.

Regards,

Bill Burks