b-hebrew - RE:earlier dictionaries? was [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE:earlier dictionaries? was [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:03:34 -0500

Dear Karl,

Karl: In closing, if you are unconvinced, you are unconvinced. I am
unconvinced of the majority scholarly reading. It does not fit what I
know of languages in general nor of Biblical Hebrew in particular. I am
not here to enforce my understanding on others, but I will defend it
unless you can give me good reasons not to. So far no one has.

HH: That's why I spent so much time on Song of Solomon 2:15. What translation are you going with there now after all the efforts I made to justify the traditional translation? This time I use NASB, since you thought NIV was paraphrastic. NASB and NIV basically agree in their handling of XBL in all these verses.

HH: NASB has for Song 2:15:

"(32) Catch the foxes for us,
The little foxes that are ruining the vineyards,
While our (33) vineyards are in blossom."

Karl: Isaiah 13:5 one of the meanings I recognized for XBL &#1495;&#1504;&#1500; is to pack up to carry away, in order to despoil the land.

HH: Would you just substitute "pack up" for "destroy"? NASB has:

They are coming from a far country,