b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah1:7)
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:37:52 -0500

Dear Harold:

To me it appears that the reasons that the Aramaic meaning is
considered also a Hebrew meaning is because:

Mishnaic and later Hebrew had that meaning as an option (after Aramaic
became the main spoken language among the peasants)

Cognate languages have that as an option

The LXX used it for some verses (after Aramaic became the main spoken
language among the peasants)

It seems to fit some verses (however, it appears forced in some of
those verses and no more a better reading than as I understand them
where it does not sound forced)

Most scholars do not want to rock the boat (which usually can be career
destroying) (My father just retired from academia, so I know how that
racket runs. A person can make a discovery, rarely as early as an upper
level undergrad, but needs to wait years before making it public, in
other words, after he gets tenure if even then. The worst case I heard
of was that of a young woman who, upon replicating her chief advisor's
dissertation research to make a master's thesis, found her advisor had
made a mistake: in order to get her master's degree she had to falsify
the data. Similarly, peer reviewed journals often enforce the status
quo, restricting original research, an important factor in the "publish
or perish" millieu.).

Well, I have no career to destroy, so I am willing to ask questions in
writing, saying in this case that the emperor seems to have no
clothing. But I take that on a case by case basis, not as a blanket
statement.

In closing, if you are unconvinced, you are unconvinced. I am
unconvinced of the majority scholarly reading. It does not fit what I
know of languages in general nor of Biblical Hebrew in particular. I am
not here to enforce my understanding on others, but I will defend it
unless you can give me good reasons not to. So far no one has.

Karl W. Randolph.