b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:00:41 -0600

How much do we actually know about such practices in warfare in that time and
place? If the shield bearer was going in front of Goliath, that hardly seems
an act of disdain; I wonder if it was to protect him from arrows or something
like that while he engaged in more direct battle? Again, it depends on what
we actually know about the role of a shield bearer in that culture. I notice
it specifically says "shield bearer" rather than "armor bearer" as in the
case of the story about king Saul's demise.