b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41
  • Date: 02 Jul 2004 19:42 GMT

The mention in I Sam. 17:41 of a shield-bearer is, I suppose, not
characteristic for the later-day hoplite tactics. The term hoplite may
however come indeed from the haPleti (the Pleti).

It is rather the description of a more archaic fight tactic using a
tower-shield (Turm-Schild), wherefore two warriors were needed, one of them
being the shield-bearer.

Don´t forget, that this part of David´s story draws upon an older Vorlage,
the resemblance to Sinuhe´s pertaining to the MB age being particularly
strong.

Best regards,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart