b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 22:57:16 +0200

We do, indeed, have some evidence of regional dialectical variation in Iron
Age Israel. Within the Bible itself, there's the famous
"shibboleth/sibboleth" incident. The Samaria Ostraca seem to show that
"Israelean" Hebrew was somewhat different that Judaite Hebrew (for example,
the use of "$T" instead of $NT for "year"). Gary Rendsburg has done some
work on Israelean Hebrew within the Bible. But we should remember, that the
Bible as a whole is a Judahite book, in fact a Jerusalemite one. Most of the
pre-exilic material was composed in 8-6th century Jerusalem, and reflects
the dialect of a very narrow upper class (99% of the people in the ancient
world in general were illiterate). Most of the post exilic material reflects
5-4 century Jerusalem. And even if there were different spoken dialects even
within the land of Judah, most literate people were probably trained in the
same schools and adopted a similar style for writing certain genres.

Yigal