b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>, "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:08:44 +0200

May I add to Uri Hurwitz's point on Yahwistic PNs the additional point that
the list of the tribal heads of the Israelites during the Exodus, according
to Num. 7, contains many names with the theophoric element "Shaddai"
(Zuri-Shaddai, Ammi-Shaddai, etc.), whereas such names are entirely absent
from biblical traditions on later periods.
I imagine that someone is going to come up with the convenient retort that
Num. 7 is a late Priestly tradition which is trying to fictionally
reconstruct an earlier period. But how often can you use this pretext to
avoid confronting the problem of the complex and diverse origins of the
Priestly traditions, many of which, according to Y. Kaufmann, M. Weinfeld.
A. Hurvitz and many others, may be quite early?
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies
Center for Jewish Culture