b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "UUC" <unikom AT paco.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 18:05:53 +0300

Dear Chris,

Probably the major function of waw prefix is poetic: to change accents.
Also, waw as "and" is very convenient to make a pause in reciting; this
function of "and" remained in Old Slavonic and even Russian until the 19th
century.
As for the tenses, Hebrew doesn't have the present tense, simply because
every action is either past or future; present is only a moment. Present
tense is basically a grammatical abstraction, not a practical necessity.

Best regards,

Vadim Cherny