b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] re: exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] re: exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:50:45 +0000

May I add to Jonathan's point that Shaddai names are attested across the ANE during the late bronze age, but fade out of use. If I may borrow a rabbinic sort of reasoning YHWH connotes the Merciful God, but the use of Shaddai within later writings (Ruth, Joel) in conjunction with the verb shadad, points to the severe side of God.

cheers,

Julie :)

Watch LIVE baseball games on your computer with MLB.TV, included with MSN Premium! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200439ave/direct/01/