b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] WAV Conjunction
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 14:49:19 -0600

But that's precisely part of my point: the tenses, IMO, don't indicate time.
That whole question is part of the Great Debate over the mystery of the
Hebrew Verbal System. I reject the idea that they connote time, but I also
reject the "aspect" view. At the moment, I see the 4 basic forms (prefix,
suffix, WA.+prefix, WAW+suffix) as denoting varieties of modality plus
syntactic connection, but I haven't fully developed it yet. I suppose, while
I'm recovering from this surgery and can't do much else, I ought to work on
it... :-)