b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] re: exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] re: exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 19:47:09 +0200

In support of Julie's point, let me point out that in the Balaam Plaster
Inscription from Deir 'Ala, the word $dyn (=Shaddayin) appears as a general
noun denoting a generality (perhaps a specific type?) of gods and not one
particular god. This may indicate that the god Shaddai was no longer (or
never?) worshipped by the pepole there at that time.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies
Center for Jewish Culture