b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tammuz, image of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tammuz, image of
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 23:39:11 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Bearpecs AT aol.com

> In a message dated 5/6/2004 10:38:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> kwrandolph AT email.com writes:
> Therefore I have no problem calling
> them Aramaic.

> You can call them Aramaic, but that negates your whole argument. If they
> are
> Hebrew and Aramaic and Akkadian and ??, then they are simply common
> cultural
> words and don't indicate anything about what language the Jews spoke.

It doesn’t negate my argument.

Hebrew originally had a different set of names for the months, today it has
the names that were learned from Aramaic, which, apparently, Aramaic
previously learned from Akkadian. My question is why? The substitution of
Aramaic names suggests that Hebrew was no longer natively spoken. I don’t say
it proves it, but it is suggestive.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm