b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tammuz, image of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tammuz, image of
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 18:52:42 -0500

To All:

I see the adoption of the Aramaic names for the months as one evidence for
the early adoption of Aramaic as the main spoken language among Jews, rather
than later as some would claim.

Tanakh recorded four names of months: )BYB, ZW, )TNYM, BWL (first, second,
seventh and eighth months).

That by the time of Ezra and Nehemiah the Aramaic names were in use instead
of the Hebrew names is a clue that the general population was as familiar, if
not more familiar, with Aramaic instead of Hebrew at that time.

But then there is the chance that in their apostasy, Jews were adopting the
Aramaic names for the months even before the Exile as part of their apostasy.

Karl W. Randolph.