b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Babylonian vocalization

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Babylonian vocalization
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:51:16 -0500

Dear Ken,

The only online source for Babylonian vocalization I know of is
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view_friendly.jsp?artid=606&letter=P

HH: Thanks. I tried to read the article, and some Hebrew letters are visible, but many of the language representations, probably transliterations, use unreadable symbols. There are a lot of question marks. Is there a font that I need to download to read the article more easily.

If I download it, do I just put it with the other fonts? Thanks in advance for your help if you recognize my problem.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

The most accessible good English overview I know of is Saenz-Badillos' _A
History of the Hebrew Language_ (Cambridge UP, 1993; ISBN 0521431573),
section 4.4.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew Poetry)
Ph.D. (cand.), McMaster University
pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
Hebrew vocabulary software: http://s91279732.onlinehome.us/flash or

Could someone point me to a good source on the web for
information (including
orthography) related to the Babylonian system of vocalizing
Biblical Hebrew
(in contrast to the Tiberian and Palestinian systems).
If there are books in English, I'm happy to hear about those
too. (I know
about Yeiven's book, but as far as I know it's only in Hebrew.)