b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; devastation; "hemorrhoids", and Plague

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: 'CS Bartholomew' <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>, Brian & Laureen Powell <PowellBrian AT omf.net>
  • Cc: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; devastation; "hemorrhoids", and Plague
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:04:04 -0700

Just a noted that the word for "emeroids" (i.e. hemorrhoids or tumors) is
"tekhor" (possibly suggesting a burning sensation) can describe the symptoms
of bubonic plague. The lymph glands swell up producing a painful burning
sensation. The ketib for "tekhor" is "ophel", suggesting swelling. The
words tekhor and ophel are not precise medical terms as we might use today
but general terms for any painful swelling. While bubonic plague is carried
by the fleas and rats, it is not transmitted by mice (assuming the writer is
making an effort to distinguish mouse from rat). I do not believe that the
word "rat" occurs anywhere in the OT while mouse or mice (akbar) occurs six
times.

David Eugene Kimbrough