b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:58:23 +0200

Dora,

In Israel Microsoft sells a Hebrew version of Windows and Office, which is
right to left. Since native speakers almost never use vowel points, the fact
that many of the various fonts don't support them is not a problem. Of
course, Hebrew Office supports English with no difficulty.

When I was in the States I found out that the Hebrew version is not sold in
the US, and that you have to make do with various "language packs" and so
on. There is Hebrew software that is used by many American Jews, such as
Dagesh and Davka, but since no-one in Israel uses them, they didn't do me
much good. I finally got my Word to support Hebrew, but my email did not, so
I had to either use English or send attachments. On my wife's computer, she
had Hebrew Outlook Express, but Word documents came through reversed. She
would send them to me, and I would print them for her.

Who said that life is simple?

Yigal