b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:05:56 -0800

On 30/03/2004 16:18, Dave Washburn wrote:

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 15:23, Peter Kirk wrote:

On 30/03/2004 13:18, Bill Rea wrote:

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Peter Kirk wrote:

Easy: Mozilla 1.6, with the contributed builds listed at
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/#1.6. I'm not sure about the last
requirement, but that's an internal matter for the Solaris system.

This just tells me you don't understand what you're talking about.

Bill, I am not now a computer professional. I used to be, 15 years ago,
and I worked with a similar setup with terminal emulators to a (local)
Unix system. But we didn't do e-mail. So I don't understand the details
of what your problem is. I am aware that there are GUIs available for
Unix systems but it seems you choose not to use them. While I accept
that I don't understand the details, I don't like the tone of your ad
hominem remark "you don't understand what you're talking about".

Peter,
I'm afraid you're just digging the hole deeper with these comments. Yes, there are GUI's available for Unix, but not all dial-in Unix systems allow them because of the load they put on the system. Nyx, where I have had my email address for 15 years, is one of them. Thankfully, I don't have to dial in to them and can now get my mail by POP3 instead of having to either dial or telnet in and use a text-based client such as pine or elm. But not everyone has that luxury, and it's unreasonable to expect people to be able to exceed the bounds of their ISP.

Bill is Unix Systems Administrator, so at one level or another it is his choice whether to permit GUI access. I accept that he may have good reasons not to. But he has implied that his e-mail is stored on a Microsoft Exchange server and is accessible by IMAP. That surely implies that he can access this, as well as the Unix system, by dial-up if he chooses - except in the unlikely event that there is a general university policy against staff and students accessing their e-mail from home. Even in that case he has the option of forwarding his e-mail to a public ISP account.

I understand the situation. My e-mail is stored on a Linux system to which I don't have GUI access, but I use POP3 and SMTP, or I could use IMAP. This is the standard way of accessing e-mail worldwide.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)