b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Language Acquisition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Language Acquisition
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:37:48 +0200

Certainly one advantage that a person who had learned Modern Hebrew would
have would be the ability to read scholarly work published in Hebrew (not to
mention the whole field of traditional Jewish exegesis). Just as an example,
Y. Kaufman's classic "History of Israelite Religion" has never been
published in its entirety in English. But dozens, if not hundreds, of
scholarly work in biblical studies and related fields are puplished in
Hebrew each year. True, many are eventually translated, usually as "updated"
editions several years later, but many are not. To a large degree, Israeli
and foreign scholarship are engaded in different issues. As I've commented
before, no scholar of Medieval French literature would be able to get away
without being able to read scholarly work in modern French. For some reason,
the Bible is different.

I imagine, by the way, that modern Greeks feel the same. However modern
Hebrew is much more similar to Biblical Hebrew that modern Greek is to
classical or koine.

Yigal