b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Language Acquisition

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Walther <krooger AT debian.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ancient Language Acquisition
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:22:58 -0800

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:39:02PM -0500, Trevor Peterson wrote:
can exercise, but even then there are questions of whether samples from the biblical corpus represent one or several dialects. It would seem counterproductive for students to internalize a conglomerate that is not really any one dialect.

When I learned to read English as a lad, I did just that; I steadily
read my way backwards from Alice in Wonderland, to Howard Pyle, to
Shakespeare, to Chaucer. Beyond Chaucer I could not go; Beowulfe feels
very familiar, but is gibberish as far as comprehension goes. My
English is a conglomerate of all the variations and developements from
the past thousand years. Would it be a bad thing to understand ancient
Hebrew or koine Greek in the same way?

Dialects are always forming and disappearing; is it really productive to
worry about separation of dialects when my experience of English is that
a broader view allows all dialects to be expressions of a single, rich,
underlying language?

Jonathan

--
Address: 13685 Hilton Road, Surrey, BC V3R5J8 (Canada)
Contact: 604-951-4142 (between 7am and 10pm, PST)