b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] quail, miracle of the (Nu 11:31-35, 33:16, 17; Psalm 78:26-31)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Cohen, Izzy" <Izzy_Cohen AT bmc.com>
  • To: mattfeld12 AT charter.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] quail, miracle of the (Nu 11:31-35, 33:16, 17; Psalm 78:26-31)
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 11:17:21 -0500

Walter R. Mattfeld --

The symptoms you described at
http://www.bibleorigins.net/ExodusQuailmiracleKibrothhattaav.html
are quite similar to those associated with ricin poisoning
(from the castor bean). For details, see
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/ricin/ricin.html
http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/healthtips/BCD/Ricin.htm

The castor bean plant *does* grow in the Negev and Sinai.
I've seen it there. Perhaps these quail are immune to this
toxin? That is, the quantity they can absorb without ill
effect is more than enough to poison humans who eat them.

If this be true, some one should be investigating how/why
these quail are (relatively) immune to ricin, a potential
WMD (weapon of mass destruction).

[Ricin may be related to Talmudic aleph-resh-samekh ?eReS
= poison. Compare arsenic ~ Syriac zarniqa = arsenic.]

Scenario 1. Location: near El Arish, Sinai

While on guard duty (miluim) at Bakha 5 (near El Arish),
I found a homonid skull in the allegedly mined area between
the outer and inner fences near the east entrance to the base.

I had seen this object from a distance every day since my arrival,
but based on it's appearance, I presumed it was styrofoam packing
material. One day a small goat belonging to the local Bedouin got
into a (said to be) mined area on our side of the fence. When I
entered the area to chase out the goat, I discovered the object was,
indeed, a human skull. Carrying a broom stick, I reentered the
area and walked gingerly on tank tracks in the sand until I could
retrieve the skull and the trapizoidal Arab building block which
lay on the ground near it. The block had several crudely drawn
mogen davids. The skull was of relatively recent origin, since
some tissue was still evident on its inside.

The military rabbinate was asked for advice. They recommended
burying the skull near where it was found. Without examining the
skull or the "tombstone", they decided:
(1) it was not a Jewish head and
(2) it had been tossed over our fence from the outside.

One of the miluimniks wanted to take the skull home, but we
convinced him that his wife would not like that. The skull was
buried, near where I found it.
- - - - - - - -
Scenario 2. Same location. Same goatherd.
Barefoot boy, about age 5, comes to collect our dinner scraps.
He will feed them to his goats. He is smoking a cigarette.
Somehow I make him understand that if he continues smoking, he
won't get anything; but if he stops, I will give him all the
leftovers that he sees on the 5 or 6 trays that contained our
dinners a short while ago.
Little boy nods head, removes cigarette from mouth, carefully
extinguishes it on the bottom of his bare foot, puts remainder
of cigarette in his shirt pocket. Big smile. No pain. He has
thick soles from walking on the hot sand.
- - - - - - -
Scenario 3. Same location. Same goatherd.
Chubby, snaggle-toothed girl, about age 9, comes to investigate me,
the new (to her) miluimnik guarding the east gate of Bakha 5. I give
her 10 or 12 Netherlands dimes, very small silver coins, shiny new.
She easily understands that I expect her to make a head band with them.
Next day. Entire goatherd arrives under the guidance of snaggle-tooth
+ 4 lithe, nubile, teen-age girls. Unfortunately, I have no more dimes
to distribute. Prettiest girl brings me the smallest newborn goat in
the flock. Very cute animal. Completely black. Has diarrhea. Brown goo
drops on pretty girl's black djellabah. She is embarrassed. So am I.
The girls and goats go home.
Snaggle-tooth throws pebbles and yells khi-khi at the goats which start
to stray. Sometimes she just yells khi-khi without throwing a pebble.
These bedouin used Pavlovian psychology before Pavlov was born.

izzy_cohen AT bmc.com

  • [b-hebrew] quail, miracle of the (Nu 11:31-35, 33:16, 17; Psalm 78:26-31), Cohen, Izzy, 06/02/2003