b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 08:05:40 -0400

At 01:42 AM 5/31/03 -0500, you wrote:
>To all:
>
>After the recent discussion of possible euphemism in Psalm 2:12, I wonder
if there is another on in Ezekiel 16:33. I suspect that early translators
turned red from the explicit language and softened it.

>I read the verse as folows: "They give ejecta (semen) to all prostitutes,
and you (female) give your vagina to all your lovers, and you, in your
prostitution, bribe them to come unto you from surrounding places."

Ezekiel is full of notoriously *vulgar* sexual innuendo and outright
description. Yet ive not run across very many willing to render literally-
especially in the context of worship. Yet, Ezekiel's delight in the vile
turn of phrase is, I think, intended to cause outrage and shock- just as God
is outraged and shocked at the behavior of his people.

Best

Jim

Jim West

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

Quantum ad sensum tribuis, tantum spiritui detraxeris- Zwingli.