b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Did they turn red?
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 01:42:04 -0500

To all:

After the recent discussion of possible euphemism in Psalm 2:12, I wonder if
there is another on in Ezekiel 16:33. I suspect that early translators turned
red from the explicit language and softened it.

I read the verse as folows: “They give ejecta (semen) to all prostitutes, and
you (female) give your vagina to all your lovers, and you, in your
prostitution, bribe them to come unto you from surrounding places.”

I can image that a similar euphemistic rendering in modern English would
sound like, “They sow their wild oats in all prostitutes and you give your
favors to all your lovers…”

Any thoughts?

Thanks

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup