b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] zerayim, zerah - to Abraham and his seed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] zerayim, zerah - to Abraham and his seed
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 07:58:42 -0400

Shalom b-hebrew

Peter Kirk wrote:
>I have recently been involved in a discussion of Galatians 3:16 on another
>(private, sadly) list. It is certainly an interesting take on the exegesis
>of the Hebrew text, and one which, in my opinion, should not be judged by
>modern standards which attempt to draw a rigid line between exegesis and
>application

Schmuel

First, thanks to Peter Kirk on the zerayim, zerah/seed/seeds discussion
(Galatians 3:16).
As you indicated, it seems the line between exegesis and application is thin,
and can be artificial.

I pretty much understand your analysis, and I gather that since zerayim is not
used at all in Tanach, its appearance in Talmud is considered simply later and
not germane to the Tanach usages, that Gill's ideas there are not so relevant.

One thing that I might add, to what you shared, is that Edersheim says that
Genesis 22:18 is also explained Messianically in the Midrash Bereshith Rabba 2
on Genesis and Risto Santala gives part of the quote.

"And through your seed all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have
obeyed my voice...... in the days of the Messiah, Israel will be compared
to the sands of the sea"
http://www.kolumbus.fi/hjussila/rsla/OT/OT06.html
THE MESSIAH IN THE OLD TESTAMENT IN THE LIGHT OF RABBINICAL WRITINGS - Risto
Santala

Was this discussed on your private thread at all ?

Thanks .. my next question is on Psalms 40:6... separate post :-)

I want to say that there are a number of good scholar's forum, (and I really
am just a
layperson) ... but you folks are really the tops :-) Always get insightful

Shalom,
Schmuel

schmuel AT escape.com
www.messiahresearch.com
Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com