b-hebrew - Recent request

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Me" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <sissicolotti AT freemail.it>
  • Subject: Recent request
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:55:13 +0100

A few days ago Sissi Colotti asked about a word found in
a medaieval context in Italy. I misunderstood what she was
asking about. Her interest was in what is found as

FOCERETH

>> FOCERETH Manifestamente uccidenti me o operario stempanatore mio.

My initial reaction, when I understood the question was to
try to return to the possible Hebrew form under this, which
I guessed from BDB as

pcr (push, press)

My software is down at the moment and I can't investigate
the biblical usage of the word. The examples found in BDB
tend to be more metaphorical than physical.

Can anyone say how this word is used physically in biblical
and post-biblical usage?

If there is a better alternative to my guess, I'm sure Sissi
would like to hear it.

Ian

Ian Hutchesson
History is wasting time over lost time