b-hebrew - A Thankful Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew R. Miller" <biblicalscribe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: A Thankful Ayin
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:28:39 -0500

Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions on pronouncing the ayin. So, I
have summarized below my understanding of aleph and ayin, and would
appreciate any corrections from people who know better than I. Thanks!

1. Aleph: When non-quiescent, it acts as a glottal stop, from which a
vowel is produced, thus acting as a silent, glottal consonant. When
quiescent, it merely lengthens a vowel, much like the German "h" in gehen.
No?

2. Ayin: Never quiescent, nor so much a glottal stop, but a fricative,
glottal, voiced consonant.

Thanks for any help. Matt Miller

  • A Thankful Ayin, Matthew R. Miller, 11/28/2002