b-hebrew - Re: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: lizfried AT umich.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 09:52:26 EDT

In a message dated 6/3/2002 8:42:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lizfried AT umich.edu writes:

The story may be related to the permission granted husbands and
fathers to abrogate the vow of a woman. She, being such a rash
and foolhardy creature, may be given to making vows like Jephtha's
without considering the Doctrine of Unintended Consequences.

Interesting thought.  Would that make the author an early warrior in the proto-battle for feminist rights?  I'm not attempting to belittle your idea or the need that obviously existed to establish the rights of women.  I'm afraid I may have phrased it poorly.  Hopefully you will understand the meaning.

gfsomsel