b-hebrew - RE: SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Daniel Walin <danserve4x AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 10:51:39 -0700 (PDT)

Well, the general consensus (from the list and some
off-list messages to me) seems to be that this Hebrew
word is probably not to be read as "or."

In that case, I can think of no logical way to argue
that Jephthah's daughter was not sacrificed as a burnt
offering. Consider the evidence.

A) Jephthah vows to make the first thing that comes
out of his house a burnt offering. (Judges 11:31)

B) Jephthah's daughter is the first thing to come out
of his house. (Judges 11:34)

C) Jepthah fulfulls his vow. (Judges 11:39)

If each point is indeed true (and I can think of no
way to render any of the points false except to
suppose inaccurate translation) then Jephthah must
have sacrificed his daughter as a burnt offering.

The Bible doesn't morally support this act, after all;
it simply tells about it. I see no reason to believe
that this is not an actual historical event recorded,
without a value judgement, in the text of the Bible.

Daniel Walin