b-hebrew - 'Memra'?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 'Memra'?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:38:14 +0100 (BST)

Hi. Just a quick question.
I've been reading A. Edersheim lately and he refers,
in a discussion of the hypostasation of the 'Word',
'Logos' of God, to 'Memra'.
Can someone please enlighten me as to the meaning of
this word? I can't find an appropriate hebrew match
and am starting to feel it may be an LXX term.
Apparently it is also mentioned in the targums
Onkelos, Jerusalem and Pseudo Jonathan, but I haven't
got the material to look through for these.
I'm sure it's a simple question.
Look forward to your help.

Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b