b-hebrew - Re: 'Memra'?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>, "Ian Goldsmith" <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Subject: Re: 'Memra'?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:55:22 +0200

Ian,
Memra is Aramaic for "word, saying". It occurs nowhere in the Tanakh, 328
times in the Babylonian Talmud, once (!) in the Palestinian Talmud and 56
times in the Aggadic literature, at times as a noun, and at times as an
element in the infinitive lemeymra'.(I only looked up the orthography
mymr').
It's a cognate of Hebrew ma'amar (<'mar), and is sometimes its semantic
equivalent in Mishnaic Hebrew.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Editor of the English Section
Mehqere Hag - A Journal of Jewish Studies
Center for Jewish Holiday Studies
Beit Berl College
Beit Berl Post Office
44905 Israel