b-hebrew - RE: Psalm 98:7 "Let the sea roar"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <BillRoss AT norisksoftware.com>
  • To: "'Maurice A. O'Sullivan'" <mauros AT iol.ie>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Psalm 98:7 "Let the sea roar"
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:26:45 -0500

<Maurice>

JPS has: " Let the sea and all within it thunder "
Grail: " "Let the sea and all within it, thunder"
Mesorah: " The sea and its fullness will roar "

<Bill>
Thank you Maurice. I was aware that the "roar" had associations with
thunder. Is the "let" any different here than the other phrases? In the
other phrases we see an admonition to praise God. Is the sea also
receiving an imperative? Or might it be something like:

"let what troubles come what may..."

I understand Hebrew has "Piel" and such to denote this kind of thing,
but I can't read Hebrew. Is there any difference in the structure of the
phrases?:

Thanks,

Bill Ross