b-hebrew - Participant Reference in Zech 11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Participant Reference in Zech 11
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:54:47 -0700

M.C. Love*, in a "monograph" on Zech 1-8, discusses the problem of ambiguous
participant reference in the first eight chapters of the book.

I have been working for several weeks in Zech 11, the shepherd section and
so forth. I have discovered the same difficulties that Love speaks of in the
first part of the book, that is difficulties identifying who is speaking and
acting. I am wondering if ambiguous participant reference is some sort of
literary feature of Hebrew prophecy that I have previously overlooked.

This is in some sense a language question, since participant reference is a
feature of the language, but it is also a question about discourse strategy.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Love, Mark Cameron. Title The evasive text : Zechariah 1-8 and the
frustrated reader / Mark Cameron Love. Pub info Sheffield, Eng. : Sheffield
Academic Press, c1999.