b-hebrew - RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Is R)$YT even a "time" word?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:35:16 +0300

Ian, I am unable to date LXX, just as you are, because I do not rely on
the letter of Aristeas and the dating implied there. I quite
deliberately avoided stating a date for LXX and carefully referred to
the view of the majority of scholars. I accept that there is no
conclusive proof that this LXX reading is pre-Christian. But that is
actually quite irrelevant to my argument.

I note that there is good evidence (which was sent to me off list) for a
similar understanding of the text by the translators/authors of the
Targums. Again the date is uncertain, I suppose.

My point in quoting translations is that translations are good evidence
for how the translators understood their Vorlage. Full stop.

Ian, you wrote "The simple understanding known from antiquity, ie that
one should read br'$yt in Genesis 1:1 as "at the beginning of" with a
following clause being related in the construct state,...". What is your
evidence that this understanding was known from antiquity, by which I
understand you as referring to before the time of Rashi? What securely
dateable documents can you quote? I have several documents, including
the Vulgate which is securely dated to the 4th century CE and LXX which
must be older, which witness that my understanding was known from
antiquity. (Would you like me to start researching the Church Fathers
for their understandings and their early quotes from LXX, old Latin,
Syriac etc etc?) And that is all I am trying to argue at this stage of
the discussion (having realised that it is pointless, and annoying to
other list members, to repeat my earlier points despite you continuing
to bring up these issues).

And in all of this I have made no reference to my personal views on
creation, and certainly not to any theories of the world being returned
to chaos after and initial creation.

Peter Kirk