b-hebrew - Re: ELOHIM NOT PLURAL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: ELOHIM NOT PLURAL
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:53:31 -0500

At 12:31 PM 1/29/02 -0500, Polycarp66 AT aol.com wrote:
construct state, and heim [literally] "they", alludes to all other forces.
Thus Elohim means "the Force of all forces".
Shoshana,
The last time I checked (just now) this was still a list for the discussion of Biblical Hebrew - not Talmud, not Kabbala. ):eLoH"NW. is a plural form with the 1st pl pronominal suffix.  If you wish to ascribe some other meaning to the word than that which is indicated by the lexica or which might be derived from a rereading of some texts (whether in Hebrew or a cognate language), I would suggest that this is not the place for it.

I think that an object look at the Tenach shows that 'Elokim' is used as BOTH singular and plural. It is one of a number of Hebrew words that are of the plural form, but used for singular and plural. (Look at Exodus 7:1 for a good example of it's use in the singular.)

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com    718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh       http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur:                  chassidus-subscribe AT chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list:        chassidus-subscribe AT egroups.com
Outreach Judaism                  http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254    Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman