b-hebrew - Re: ELOHIM NOT PLURAL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: rosewalk AT concentric.net, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: ELOHIM NOT PLURAL
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:31:28 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2002 11:19:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, rosewalk AT concentric.net writes:

No Liz, it is NOT as you say, and it's not 'neat'

Elohim is one of G-d's names

Why it is written as if it is plural - you have to learn deeper than the
literal translation

Ramban (Nachmanides):   "The word Elohim means "the Master of all forces",
for the root of the word is eil, meaning force, and the word Elohim is a
composite consisting of the words eil heim, as if the word eil is in a
construct state, and heim [literally] "they", alludes to all other forces.
Thus Elohim means "the Force of all forces".

Shoshana,

The last time I checked (just now) this was still a list for the discussion of Biblical Hebrew - not Talmud, not Kabbala. ):eLoH"NW. is a plural form with the 1st pl pronominal suffix.  If you wish to ascribe some other meaning to the word than that which is indicated by the lexica or which might be derived from a rereading of some texts (whether in Hebrew or a cognate language), I would suggest that this is not the place for it.

In this regard, I think it only proper to encourage you to state any foundation you may have other than Nachamides (whom I do not hereby wish to disrespect) for stating that Elohim is a "composite consisting of the words eil heim" .  I have never heard of any other who has so asserted with reference to Elohim.

gfsomsel