b-hebrew - PS Re: ELOHIM NOT PLURAL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: PS Re: ELOHIM NOT PLURAL
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:58:54 -0500

Shoshana,

The last time I checked (just now) this was still a list for the discussion
of Biblical Hebrew - not Talmud, not Kabbala. ):eLoH"NW. is a plural form
with the 1st pl pronominal suffix. If you wish to ascribe some other
meaning to the word than that which is indicated by the lexica or which
might be derived from a rereading of some texts (whether in Hebrew or a
cognate language), I would suggest that this is not the place for it.

You cannot understand the Torah without all the rest - Aggada, Mishna,
Talmud, Kabbala, etc. It is not meant to be taken in only its literal
sense.

Shoshanna

In this regard, I think it only proper to encourage you to state any
foundation you may have other than Nachamides (whom I do not hereby wish to
disrespect) for stating that Elohim is a "composite consisting of the words
eil heim" . I have never heard of any other who has so asserted with
reference to Elohim.

gfsomsel