b-hebrew - RE: Song of Songs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: <SDBIBLESTUDY AT aol.com>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Song of Songs
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 09:42:16 -0600

<Jeff>
>>>Can anyone point me to some great links on the internet that would tell
me about the Canonization of the Song of Songs.

<Bill>
I understand from extra-biblical sources that the disciples used to look at
it when Jesus wasn't looking. :->

But seriously, folks...

I read a very good commentary on it not too long ago and the author
discussed the history of it. I think you'll find the discussion at the front
of most any commentary, but the one I read was from, I believe, either NAV
press or IVP. The author felt it was canonical [to christians]. His
interpretation, though, was not an attempt to allegorize it as a torrid
divine love affair, but rather a celebration of human sexual love.

Bill Ross