b-hebrew - Re: begin-title / end-title

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: banyai AT t-online.de, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: begin-title / end-title
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:10:04 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2001 9:22:18 AM Central Standard Time,
banyai AT t-online.de writes:

I see your argument and it is a serious objection to my theory. But, since
I find
the idea worth to be pursued, I´ll propose to your attention following
possibility:
the sequence title - end title might very well make sense, since usually
by any
scroll, the beginning, which is scrolled to the exterior is much more
exposed
than the rest of the text. It might therefore in many cases be damaged,
either by
rodents or by humidity. So what do if we´ve lost the important
introduction,
classifying the document? Than take a look at the end, if there is
anything left
of, to get the information about the nature of the document.

So is the example of Michael DePangher,of Gen. 1,1 and Gen. 2,4a (not 2.4b
as
Jonathan D. Safren objected) interesting :
Gen 1,4a "These are the creations of the heavens and the earth when they
where
created."

Just a suggestion regarding the concluding formula.  Would it possibly be the
case that this would be used when there were several works on the same scoll?
 Then the formula "In the book of nnn it is written" would mean that this was
found on the scroll that had this opening formula though it might, in fact,
be an entirely different work.

gfsomsel