b-hebrew - Re: SIL Ezra in HTML

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>
  • To: "Don A. Elbourne Jr." <delbourne AT home.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SIL Ezra in HTML
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 07:41:52 -0000

From: "Don A. Elbourne Jr." <delbourne AT home.com>

> I'm working with the OTA BHS text and trying to place it in HTML. For some
> reason the SIL EZRA font does not render correctly in HTML. The vowel
> pointing takes their own character place instead of overstriking the
> consonant. I thought that perhaps this was simply a limitation of HTML,
but
> when I tried the same thing with the BWHebb BibleWorks font, the text
> renders correctly.

> :¦årA'Ah tE'Ìw £ÇyamAKHah tE' £yihÈlé' 'ßrAÐb tyiH'ãrüÐb

> `#r,a'h' taew> ~yIm;V'h; tae ~yhi+l{a/ ar'B' tyviareB.
>
> Does anyone know of a work-around for this problem? If not perhaps we
could
> work on a conversion tool that would render the OTA text in BWHebb
instead.

> any thoughts?

Your SIL Ezra snippet displays perfectly in an HTML document in IE5 on my
system, vowels correctly positioned and everything.
Furthermore I tried Saving the first chapter of my own Word 2000 copy of the
whole BHS in HTML format, and that too loads perfectly, vowels, accents and
all into IE5, though the Right Alignment has gone rather irregular - but
that is not a matter of the font itself, I think.

John Richards