b-hebrew - RE: shamayim = sha + mayim ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: 'Biblical Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: shamayim = sha + mayim ?
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:42:40 -0500

Peter Kirk says, "So I don't think such speculation gets us anywhere towards
understanding the Hebrew Bible."

I agree, although even if we could establish the etymology, it still would
not be an asset to our understanding for any common word for which the
meaning is established by usage. Usage is the key to meaning.

Dan Wagner